What is product variation?
Variations are product options that Catch allows their customer to choose from when they purchase a product.
Rather than creating single product listings for every available size, we create just one product page with all of the size variations for that specific colour.
Example on the Catch website:
What variation options does Catch accept?
Catch accepts variation by size, colour or size + colour.
Use of at least one of the specific variant fields, variant-size or variant-colour, becomes mandatory when the variant-id field is completed.
During product creation, the below product types must be submitted with the minimum variation grouping of 'size'.
- Bed linen
When setting up your variation products on Catch, you have the below options. The fields referenced can be found within your product data template.
- Fields required: variant-id and variant-size-value
- How will these appear to the Catch customer? As a singular product page, with a drop-down menu showing the sizes submitted by the seller within the variant-size-value field.
- Fields required: variant-id and variant-colour-value
- How will these appear to the Catch customer? As separate product pages per variant-colour-value submitted.
- Colours will be automatically appended to the end of the product title by Catch.
Both Size and Colour
- Fields required: variant-id, variant-colour-value and variant-size-value
- How will these appear to the Catch customer? As separate product pages per variant-colour-value submitted, with each page having a drop-down menu showing the available sizes of the product as submitted by the seller within the variant-size-value field.
- Colours will be automatically appended to the end of the product title by the Catch system.
How to use the variant fields:
- Group your products
- Select a unique value to use as the variant code for this group of products (SKUs).
- Assign this value to each SKU within the group of products. This value must be identical to allow the Catch system to connect your group of products.
- Assign your sizing options
- using the variant-size-value field, fill in the appropriate size for each SKU. (e.g. Small, Medium, Large, and so on).
- If required, specify colour options
- using the variant-colour-value field, fill in the specific colour of the product group (e.g. baby pink, antique white, smoke, and so on)
Ensure the following columns for each SKU within a variation product group contain identical information:
- Variant ID
- Product Title
- Image Size Chart
- Images (if you are submitting variation by size only)
Ensure the following columns contain different information for each SKU within a variation product group:
- Internal SKU
- Product Reference Value
My product data template contains other 'size' and 'colour' fields, do I need to use these to create variant products?
No - these fields are not used to create variant products.
The similar fields, such as those labelled ‘Kid’s footwear size’, 'Colour, or ‘Women’s Tops size’ are used to optimize your product visibility by ensuring they're included in search results and filtering - learn more here.
These fields are able to be identified as they do not contain the term 'variant' within the field name/code.
If you are a new seller, or existing seller submitting new products, please use the above steps.
If are an existing seller wanting to update an existing products structure, please lodge a ticket prior to adjusting your templates.
Have any questions? Please lodge a ticket with our support team here.