On Catch, Search Engine Optimization plays a vital role in which products will appear when customers are shopping on Catch.
This article explains how to ensure your products are optimized to increase their visibility throughout category navigation, filters and search results using attributes.
Why is it important to provide attributes?
Attributes drive search results on Catch, as our product range grows we're exposing more and more product filters each day. Placing an increased value on providing Catch with the requested attributes, both mandatory and optional, for each product you list.
These filters also integrate into other features on the website, such as marketing campaigns and promotional events - all driven by the attribute data supplied by you, the seller.
By investing the time in providing attribute information, you're making sure that customers have the highest chance of finding your products first.
What if I don't provide attributes to Catch?
Well, the risk is that customers will filter out your products from their search results or your products will not be returned in search bar results - both meaning fewer sales!
For example, a customer is looking for a black evening dress. The customer will select 'Black', their size and then 'Evening Dress'.
If you have not provided us with these data points, we'll be unable to return your product as a match - filtering your products out of the results.
If the customer uses the search bar, instead of filters, your product will still be returned. However, it may rank lower compared to other products that have had attributes provided.
Remember, we have millions of products! The more attributes you complete, the easier you'll be making it for customers to find your product - no matter how they choose to search.
A customers can browse by category: Apparel & Footwear > Women’s > Footwear > Boots.
They can then refine their search by color, brand, size, heel height and boot style, using the filters on the left-hand side of the page:
How do I provide these attributes?
Firstly, you need to understand there are two types of attributes.
- Mandatory attributes - these apply to all Catch products. These are necessary pieces of data used to create your product listings, we cannot sell your products without this information.
- Such as the brand, category or images - available to review here.
- Optional attributes - these apply only to specific groups of products and bottom level categories.
- For example, we'll request 'Dress & Skirt Length' for products within the 'Skirt' or 'Dress' categories, but this won't be requested for the 'Sneaker' category.
To understand which attributes are required for your product range, you can either:
- Use a manual excel template? Generate a fresh template from your Catch shop back office.
- You can select up to 500 bottom level categories within one template. We recommend storing all of your product and offer data within one file, this aids in keeping track of your updates - learn more here.
- Use .CSV/XML or JSON files? Download the (attached) 'Catch Accepted Values'.
- This guide outlines all of the categories, category to attribute relationships and accepted values for each attribute - in code format. We update this document every month, so it's important to frequently check back to make sure your copy is the latest.
- Use the available APIs
- If you're integrated via API, you can simply refer to the Catch API Guide to locate the calls to use.